this article was originally published here: http://personaltrainingcertificationusa.com/acsm-certification/
In this article we want to review the ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) Personal Trainer Certification.
There are other certifications you can get from ACSM but those are for specializations, like for example PT for those with cognitive or sensory disabilities.
The ACSM Personal Trainer Certificate (CPT):
Are There Requirements?
Yes, to be eligible to take the ACSM Certification exam you have to meet the following requirements:
- 18 years of age or older
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Current American Heart Association or American Red Cross Adult CPR certification
What Will You Be Able To Do With An ACSM Certification?
- Work with apparently healthy individuals and those with health challenges.
- Improve health-related physical fitness.
- Manage health risk.
- Health screening assessments.
- Sub-maximal cardiovascular exercise tests.
- Muscular strength/endurance, flexibility, and body composition tests.
- Develop and administer programs designed to enhance: muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, cardiorespiratory fitness, body composition, and any of the motor skills (i.e., balance, coordination, power, agility, speed, and reaction time).
How Much Does It Cost?
- ACSM Member Candidates -> $219
- ACSM Non-Member Candidates -> $279
- Re-test -> $150
To maintain your ACSM Certification you need to accumulate a minimum of 45 CECs (continuing education credits) within 3 years, maintain your ACSM certification and pay a $30 re-certification fee.
Now 45 CECs equal approximately 7 workshop days you have to attend over a 3 year cycle. ACSM only recognizes their own workshops, so over the 3 years you will have to spend at least another $879 if you don’t find other opportunities to accrue the needed CECs.
Helpful Resources To Pass The ACSM Certification Exam:
There are workshops available, although these don’t come really cheap. The prices for the workshops are as follows:
- 3 Day workshop: $375
- 1 Day workshop: $129
Furthermore you can purchase study material directly from ACSM that will help you prepare for your exam. Here are some helpful links:
The price for the ACSM Certification is fair, not too expensive and definitely worth to take into further consideration as it’s one of the biggest NCCA accredited organizations and it will make your job-hunt a lot easier if you have one of those!
Continue here with our review about NASM, the most popular option: